What you need:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1.5kg carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 litres fresh vegetable stock
- Grated zest and juice ½ orange
- Natural yogurt and fresh coriander leaves to serve
How to make it:
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat and fry the onion for 10 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and 1½ tbsp of the ginger, then fry for another minute, stirring. Add the carrots, stock and orange zest. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to low and simmer for 45-50 minutes until the carrots are tender.
- Stir in the remaining ginger and the orange juice, then blend the soup until smooth using a stick blender (or whizz in a food processor or blender; see Make Ahead). Season with salt and pepper, then serve with a swirl of yogurt and a sprinkling of fresh coriander leaves.