- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 Cup Cornstarch
- 1 Small Eggplant Cut Into 0.5cm Thick Slices
- 1 Cup Italian Seasoned Panko Bread Crumbs
- Lemon Wedges-Optional
- Jarred Marinara Sauce – Optional
- Sliced Mozzarella – Optional
- In a small shallow bowl, beat the egg with 1/4 teaspoon salt. In 2 more separate shallow dishes, pour the cornstarch and panko breadcrumbs. Dredge each slice of eggplant in cornstarch, coating it thoroughly then gently tapping off excess, then in egg mixture, then in the panko crumbs, pressing them to help them stick. Transfer coated eggplant to a wire rack and allow the coating to set 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 cm oil in a heavy bottom skillet with straight sides around 5 cm tall. Fry the eggplant slices in batches, for 1 minute on each side, or until golden brown. Transfer to paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- Season with additional salt and pepper. Over hot eggplant, squeeze lemon wedges, or top with marinara sauce or mozzarella if using, and serve.
Image and recipe by gonnawantseconds.com